Wednesday, February 17, 2010

Ears & Eyes

The last couple of days have been fairly momentous ones in Luna's world. Yesterday her right ear decided to stay up indefinitely (no doubt until the indecisiveness of teething ears kick in), staying up all day long. Since she was on such a roll, she decided to put a couple new skills in her hat, too, and she and Dad mastered "sit" and "down" over the course of the day. We've now added that to her requirements to get a treat when she goes outside to potty.

My getting a picture of the lopsided ears while I could turned out to be a good thing when we woke up today to BOTH ears standing straight up. So she wore her new eardo to the opthalmologist today to have her dermoid removed.


T.L. met me at work when I got off this morning, and we headed to Orange Park to get her surgery done by Dr. Daniel Brown at the Animal Eye Clinic. Having started out her trip with T.L., who is still a little new to her, she was nervous starting out, and about 3/4 of the way there, she barfed EVERYWHERE, mostly down my right leg.
Waiting to see Dr. Brown.
On our way home.
There for a minute, I thought T.L. was going to follow suit. We made it to the vet, though, without further incident. We got there early enough that she, T.L. and I were able to sit there for a while and calm down before we met with the Dr. Brown for a minute. I was very impressed with his kindness and how observant and astute he seemed to be, so when I left her in his care, I was not nearly as nervous as I was before we got there. I went to shower and nap while she was put fully under and her dermoid removed. The procedure didn't take long, and they called me about 1pm to let me know Luna would be ready about 2:30. Dr. Brown saw us when we got there to let me know that everything went well but they had to remove more tissue than anticipated, and as a result, Luna had an external stitch that they did not anticipate. Now she is saddled with this lovely cone for not 1 or 2 but for the next 9 days. She'll also be getting ointment to the eye every 6 hours and anti-inflammatories and antibiotics twice a day. Dr. Brown gave Luna a little Valium just before we left to help her not get as nauseated on the trip home. The trade off was a stoned Luna on the way home. When she wasn't sleeping, she was whining and unhappy, then seriously drunk when we got home. Having recovered from the sedative, she is now doing well except for being quite irritated with the cone, banging it against the wall and pulling at it with her front paws in an effort to remove it. It's going to be a long 9 days.

No comments:

Post a Comment